Posted in My Damn Channel
, New Series
on 7/31/2008 3:44:05 AM by Rob Barnett
MY DAMN CHANNEL CELEBRATES ITSELF
First Birthday Stats and ‘Terrible Two’ Plans Revealed
NEW YORK, July 31, 2008 - My Damn Channel (www.MyDamnChannel.com), the entertainment studio and new media platform, today celebrates its first birthday by revealing year one statistics on traffic and revenue, and announcing new community features and a full development slate.
My Damn Channel has built a brand that empowers professional filmmakers, actors, comedians, musicians, and athletes to co-produce, mass distribute and monetize original, short-form video.
My Damn Channel has produced over 325 original videos viewed over 29 million times in the past year. The company created a studio, a destination site, syndication network, and branded entertainment exchange to match advertisers with top talent who deliver high-quality, episodic content.
Today, the channel celebrates itself and the first 9 channels co-created with Harry Shearer, David Wain, Big Fat Brain, Don Was, A.D. Miles, Andy Milonakis, Grace Helbig, Steve Kerper, and Coolio.
Watch our Birthday Meltdown
Twenty-two original series have featured over 120 professional artists including Ozzy Osbourne, Paul Rudd, Jonah Hill, Rob Corddry, Janeane Garofalo, Kristen Schaal, and Elizabeth Banks.
My Damn Channel currently reaches over one million unique viewers monthly. Major brands including Lincoln, Universal Pictures, Lionsgate, Southern Comfort, Puma, and HBO have signed on. Revenue is pacing to exceed $1 million by year’s end.
A low-cost model eliminates multi-layered management tiers found in traditional media and puts artists in direct contact with their fans. My Damn Channel founder and CEO Rob Barnett said, “Our team and our talent are inspired by cynics who say you can’t build a brand and create the traffic and revenue needed to succeed with original video. Our birthday blood sugar rush is strong enough to keep us laughing and beating projections in year two.”
A new syndication deal has just been signed with a major portal and will be announced and launched in August. New community features on the destination site include video alerts via email for premieres and featured clips; customizable profiles; friending; and favorites.
The development slate of new My Damn Channel programming includes:
• “Pilot Channel” (working title) – content creators get full access to the company’s branding, technology, community, syndication, promotion, and revenue. Advertisers bid to sponsor new series through a branded entertainment exchange that guarantees placement and distribution throughout our network.
• “Lapdance with Kurt Loder: Saving The World One Interview at a Time” – Author, journalist, MTV anchor, movie writer and former Rolling Stone senior editor Kurt Loder interviews filmmakers, musicians and anyone else who’s around, anywhere in the world, via iChat. The first episode with Harry Shearer premieres in August.
• New Big Fat Brain series – the creators of “You Suck at Photoshop” will “tweak the geeks” once again.
• “Face Time presented by Puma” – athletes and musicians interview each other to find out where they get their inspiration. Three 6 Mafia and Terrell Owens star in the channel’s first sports series.
• “My Damn Channel Music Nights presented by SoCo” – Grace Helbig, host of the channel’s “Daily Grace” hits the highway this summer with Southern Comfort for 12 weeks of programming starring fans and artists including Common, The Black Keys, and The Roots, filming in NY, CA, AZ, and WI.
• Harry Shearer – the Sultan of political satire has just released a new album, “Songs of the Bushmen.” New videos from the album include “Turd Blossom Special” (Shearer as Karl Rove) and “Gym Buds” (Judith Owen as Condeleeza Rice). Shearer continues to produce “Found Objects,” featuring news anchors and newsmakers in unscripted moments captured on film.
• Don Was – the creator and host of My Damn Channel’s Wasmopolitan Cavalcade of Recorded Music is producing a second season of all new music. Don and his Cavalcade just filmed over 55 musicians live in Detroit at the “Concert of Colors” diversity festival.
About My Damn Channel
My Damn Channel is an entertainment studio and new media platform created to empower professional filmmakers, actors, comedians, musicians and athletes to co-produce, distribute and monetize original, episodic video. Artists create programming for the My Damn Channel site and for syndication on today's most heavily-trafficked online communities and social networks. My Damn Channel delivers creative control, funding, distribution, and revenue to co-conspirators including Big Fat Brain, Coolio, Grace Helbig, Steve Kerper, A.D. Miles, Andy Milonakis, Harry Shearer, David Wain and Don Was. The company is supported by an advertising revenue model, and by licensing the studio's entire portfolio of content across all forms of digital distribution.
The Osbournes are coming back to TV. Saw the story by Brian Stelter at the NY Times. It's va-va-variety!
We're featuring our OZZY interview with DON WAS on the home page today - talking Sabbath, Randy Rhoads, & Frank Zappa! It's episode 6 of an 8 part hang at Ozzy's house.