The Night Feed
, Posted on 12/10/2012 by
1. Juan Manuel Marquez knocked Manny Pacquiao out cold, spawning a series of image memes, placing the fallen boxer's body into odd places. Even Justin Bieber put a couple of the joke images on Instagram, in a seeming show of loyalty to boxer Floyd Mayweather, who wasn't even involved in this fight. I, for one, am just surprised that I know this much about boxing.
2. Skyfall won the weekend box office, in its fourth week of release, finally knocking Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 from the top spot. The Gerard Butler / Jessica Biel romantic comedy Playing For Keeps opened in sixth place, which is impressive only because the phrase "Gerard Butler / Jessica Biel romantic comedy" seems like one of the most unappealing descriptors in the history of modern cinema.
3. President Obama attended a Christmas concert in Washington, D.C, at which Gangnam Style singer (Singer? Is that what he does?) Psy performed, despite controversy relating to a performance Psy did several years ago in which he seemed to advocate killing American troops in response to the US invasion of Iraq. In other news, this is the biggest controversy ever to revolve around a man who has made a name for himself riding an invisible horse.
4. Cable channel G4 has decided to rebrand itself "The Esquire Channel," starting sometime early next year. Sorry, video game and nerd culture fanboys. Looks like the world wants you all to be a little more suave, or at least, watch some TV that encourages you to pretend to be.
5. Hanukkah started this weekend! Or Chanukah. Whichever your prefer. I'm just going with what Crate&Barrel uses in their ads. To celebrate, I watched this Hallmark original holiday movie starring Joey Lawrence as a guy who may or may not get Marilu Henner as his new, Jewish mother-in-law.