The Night Feed
, Posted on 11/9/2012 by
The name's Bond. James Bond. And Bond is back, baby. Skyfall, the twenty-third Bond film, comes out today and I'm excited. Now, after 2008's abysmal Quantum of Solace, no one should be looking forward to another Bond flick. Quantum of Solace was that bad. It was one of the worst movies I have ever seen in a movie theater, period. Just horrible. But I have high expectation for Skyfall. Why? Hey! Let me tell you five reasons why!
1) Roger Deakins. Who, you ask? Why, only one of the finest cinematographers working today. He has filmed such visual masterpieces as The Shawshank Redemption, No Country For Old Men and, yes, The Big Lebowski. With Deakins on board you know the film is no joke and, if nothing else, will be visually stunning.
2) Sam Mendes is directing. Okay, he's not my favorite director out there. I think American Beauty is one of the most overrated movies to have come out in the last 20 years. That said, he's not too shabby. Here's a guy that's directed some good movies - especially the wonderful Road To Perdition. Mendes has cred.
3) Javier Bardem is playing the villain. Dude's one of the best actors out there - and he won an Oscar for playing a creepy-ass villain in No Country For Old Men. I'm pretty sure we're going to get an epic Bond villain performance from him.
4) Thomas Newman wrote the score. You can't say enough about this guy. He's up there with the greats. The Shawshank Redemption. American Beauty. Wall-E. He's a master.
5) Daniel Craig. He's a good Bond. Even in Solace (which, to reiterate, sucked major balls) Craig gave a good performance as Bond. He made the movie watchable, which is no small feat. And given that he was THE SHIT in Casino Royale, I'm confident he'll be excellent in Skyfall.
So there you have it. My two cents. I'll be seeing the flick this weekend - tweet me and tell me what YOU think: @DannyMoney